Friday, February 18, 2011

The Event That Changed My Life

As I've been watching the Daytona 500 coverage the past two weeks, it has been covering the tenth anniversary of Dale Earnhardt's death. He was killed on the last lap of the 2001 Daytona 500 on February 18. That event did not affect me. I was no race fan at the time. I know for those whose driver was Dale Earnhardt, it was devastating. I remember hearing on the radio what Mike Helton said. "We lost Dale Earnhardt." Little did I know how much it would make me into the person I am today.

I was in seventh grade and had the best science teacher ever, Mrs. Catoe. I was in her study hall and she turned on his memorial service during school. I saw Dale Earnhardt, Jr. and I just thought he was so cute. I asked her who that was and she told me. She also mentioned that he was a racer too.

Cue infatuation with Junior.

I loved him. Everyone knew it. If I didn't get something Junior at Christmas or my birthday, it was a big deal. In fact, if I got something other than Junior merchandise it was odd.

Case in point. (Taken 2008)


I remember my first attempt at a Cup race. It was April 2002 at Texas Motor Speedway. It rained it out. I didn't get to see it.

The next year I did get to go to Texas Motor Speedway. Beautiful day. Awesome race. Junior finished second. Let's just say if I though I loved NASCAR before I saw a race, I became passionate after that. There is nothing like the smell of rubber and the sound of 43 engines. I had goosebumps for 500 miles.

Fast foward five years. Because I love racing so much my friend thought I needed to meet a local racer because she thought we'd hit it off....

She was right. 


In November of 2009, I worked the fall race at Texas Motor Speedway. It was amazing. I thought it was the best weekend ever. 





This was taken during a Cup race. The cars were going about 200 mph. Yeah, AWESOME!

I was wrong. The following spring semester I go to intern at TMS. I met some great people. It was a great experience. And it made me love and appreciate NASCAR even more. 






And I got to back in November 2010. 






No, I am not obsessed with Junior anymore. He is still my favorite driver. Always will be. 

How I wish I could have seen Dale Earnhardt race. I am thankful that from such a tragedy to race fans came such a great story for me. I believe I would be a different person if I did not like racing. I love the sport. There is not another sport that has such pride. American pride. Driver pride. They always pray before the race. What other sport can say that?  

I will always be a race fan. It has brought so many good things and people into my life. And it still gives me goosebumps every green flag. 

No comments:

Post a Comment